Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Working in a different vein


After a studio visit yesterday, I decided that I need to concentrate on showing artists that don't necessarily
have a studio-based practice. I need to show artists that work more like me or rather artists that work in a different vein.

The studio I visited yesterday could have been the studio I worked out of 10 years ago. It was like a pastiche of an artist's studio, with tea pot, seltzer water, and postcard images on the wall. If Pocket Utopia is a different type of space, then I need to show different types of artists; one that isn't so comfortable in their surroundings. I believe good art doesn't come out of a comfortable place. It doesn't make sense to take your average studio artist and put them in an unusual gallery space.

No comments: